Monday 22 February 2016

Update

I haven't done a post in a while so here is a quick update:

Research
I have been filtering through a list of about 30 (and growing by the day) companies I have come across. These are companies I've encountered in the news, on forums, word of mouth and any other medium. That obviously means there are no gaurentees about their quality and each company needs to be looked at from scratch. I simply use it as a method to discover a company I don't know about.

A few I've come across justify further research. This usually means they are reasonably valued, have a decent balance sheet, have an interesting business and make money. I'll post about them if I consider they are worth pursuing further.

I'm considering investing in a gold miner as a possible turnaround in the industry is apparent. However, I may decide to keep this out of my 20k portfolio as it's likely going to be a lot more volatile and therefore a longer term view may be necessary. 

There's been a good rally this week in the US. A sustained consolidation may bring some money back into riskier assets. As I already predicted, the world doesn't seem as though it will end. Investing in companies growing their earnings is a good place to have your hard earned. Short term pain is tolerable provided you understand a company's risks and take a long term view (more than a year!!). Let others capitulate and sell around you and buy when things are cheap. 

Portfolio Plan
I've reconsidered my original plan of buying shares in 4 companies with 5k in each. I may end up limiting total purchases to 2.5k in some companies and holding another one or two companies. It all depends how my buy list looks. Having said that, PRO released their half year which was a good one (largely as expected but with good commentary around future growth). The market sold down which means I will probably complete this position.

Global Health Limited (ASX:GLH) is a company that lost a big contract and had an eps drop a year ago. Since then they've resumed winning contracts and growing the business. There was recently an independent research report written about them. Rather than rewriting about them please see the link: http://risingstarresearch.com.au/resources/Global%20Health%20.pdf

I've held shares through the rough times and topped up just before Christmas as the forward PE multiple was around 7. Since then it's rerated considerably and warrants further consideration. I will be watching their half year results and commentary closely. Any upgrade will likely see another rerate. If I can get in early enough I would happily add it to the 20k portfolio.


No comments:

Post a Comment