Saturday 27 February 2016

Prophecy International and TFS Corporation Limited release Half Year Report

Last week two companies I hold in the 20k portfolio released their half year reports. Both company's reports were very pleasing. The market's reaction however has been polar opposite.

TFS Corporation (ASX:TFC)
TFC's results were largely as expected, but there were a few crucial pieces of information that I think the market had flagged as key risks. Plantation sales are up 50%, cash EBITDA is up and royalties from Benzac sales has tripled. The market rewarded it with a 24% increase in the stock price.

The main highlight for me was that both this years and next years anticipated harvest volumes have been forward sold. This included new agreements with Chinese and Indian buyers for heartwood at comparable prices to USD4,500/kg of oil. I think this has reduced a key risk - the significant increase in sandalwood volume over the coming years will actually lead to cash generation. I have always thought this was a concern for the market, because otherwise the forward earnings can be relatively easily estimated and discounted (this isn't the only risk however).

Another thing I had mentioned previously was the amount of shorting of the stock that has been going on recently. This had reached almost 10% of the float. This equates to just over 30 million shares. That is a significant number of shares that need to be bought back at some stage. I think the rise on Friday was largely attributed to these shorters covering their position, leading to a potential short squeeze. There are still approximately 30m shares that need to be covered. I think this could lead to a significant rerate over coming weeks as shorters scramble to buy back shares. Very exciting times for the long shareholder after what has been some pain at the hands of these shorters.

Unfortunately, I decided not to complete my position in TFC for the 20k portfolio, but the 1,700 I picked up could produce a very good return. Especially if the short squeeze continues.

Prophecy International (ASX:PRO)
Prophecy's results were also relatively as expected, however, there was a key piece of information regarding already booked revenue that I assumed the market would reward. This was not the case though!

PRO's guidance for the year is $20m revenue. The half year produced 8m revenue. This was announced previously and some may have been concerned that this indicated they weren't on track to meet guidance. It should be noted guidance is 67% revenue increase for SNARE and eMite products, which even if missed will still represent very impressive growth.

The profit for the half year was subdued, but this was expected and management reiterated previous guidance. Guidance is for 8.8cps. At the current SP this is a forward PE of 16. That is for a company that will double earnings this year and likely continue at a significant growth rate going forward. PRO has the ability to leverage earnings without increasing the cost base. More sales staff have increased the cost base recently, but for a company growing at such a rate it is obvious why they went to do this. Growth funds more growth!

Interestingly, the commentary indicated that 3.8m of sales is already booked regardless of new sales in the half. That puts the revenue for the half at 11.8m. On top of this, a significant amount of existing revenue is reoccurring. Therefore, the new sales required to meet guidance aren't overly onerous. Remember when this report came out we were already two months into the second half. Management obviously like what they see from recent sales.

Management also updated the market on various initiatives such as product development and different sales avenues. This is positive and shows the company isn't resting on its laurels even with their tremendous recent success. To add to that a director has bought in the last few days (albeit a small amount relative to their 7.5m existing shares)!

Moving to the SP, the market has continued to hammer PRO. I put this down to a combination of profit taking (the SP was up around 600% in the past year) and PE contraction due to the global doom and gloom (I am of the opinion the world will not end and good companies will keep making money). PRO's trailing PE will all of a sudden be 16 come the end of June, and it has tremendous growth prospects ahead. I can't see the SP staying low for very long and one positive update could send it back up.

The long term investor in me unfortunately won out and I bought more during the sell off after the report came out. I figured the market would study up and realise it was a buy. This was not to be unfortunately! I will endure some short term pain, but the long term prospects have me licking my lips. I've missed out on this additional upside for the 20k portfolio (I don't want to be too overweight in any company), but I will add more to my personal portfolio if it keeps dropping. I should have used TA here, but the opportunity was too good to resist. I'd rather be in and not miss out on a significant rise given I am a happy purchaser at these levels.

All in all, a good report from both companies, and I'm confident there is significant upside to be had for my 20k portfolio timeframe and well into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment